Wednesday, May 21, 2014

There's an App for That! 50 Apps in 60 Minutes

In July 2012, I facilitated an edWeb.net/emergingtech webinar for my Emerging Tech community called 50 Google Apps in 60 minutes. I presented from my hotel room at Alan November's annual conference in Boston, Building Learning Communities. I crowdsourced that whole webinar - picked the brains of some of the most innovative edtechers I know to compile a "best of the best" list of Goolgle Apps for Education.  It was fantastic! I still use much of what I learned that week, and when I use certain apps, I remember conversations I had with friends about what they loved and how they used what they loved.

Fast forward two years. I scheduled another 50 in 60 webinar, but this time, it was all about mobile applications. While I am a dedicated mobile phone user, I don't use iPads for teaching and learning all that much. I knew that with over 2,500 participants registered, many attendees would expect me to talk about iPad use in the classroom, so I did what any sensible 21st century learner would, and I crowdsourced it.

What follows are the Skyperviews I conducted with my five guests.

  • Laura Beals Delia, Elementary School Librarian in Burlington (MA) Public Schools
  • Elisabeth LeBris, Director of Library Technology Services of Kenilworth (IL) School District
  • Brad Ovenell-Carter, Director of Educational Technologies Mulgrave School in Vancouver, BC
  • Emily Valenza, Visual Arts Teacher Grades K-6, Kingsley Montessori School in Boston, MA
  • Meg Wilson, Technology Integrator, Avenues School in New York, NY


I posted on the edWeb.net Emerging Tech discussion forum an invitation for community members to share their favorite apps. I also asked friends and family for ideas as well. Needless to say, selecting fifty out of hundreds of recommended apps was the hardest part of preparing for the webinar.

I needed to organize my apps into lists that would help webinar participants learn more about, filter, and organize featured apps and create their own lists. For this, I turned to Joyce Valenza, who recommended edshelf.com. WOW! It was exactly what I was looking for. Here is my list of 50 - except you will note that there are actually seventy apps listed. I cheated just a little by grouping some apps together by functionality. There isn't always just one app that is better at accomplishing a tasks than all the others.




The webinar was covered by both eSchool News and Mind/Shift, which was almost as exciting as having 740 live participants, and 1,120 archive views since the live presentation! A big shout out goes to Follett for sponsoring the edWeb.net/emergingtech community, and making these webinars available for free to the education community!

2 comments:

  1. It is An Approved Toolkit for Essay Crafting Success. It is difficult to grab the meaning and concept of the times and all such informations. It is established and ensured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fascinating and exciting read….Interested in playing the game at fifaah.co

    ReplyDelete